Waldorf Salad is a popular dish that typically consists of diced apples, celery, walnuts, and mayonnaise, often served over lettuce. It is named after the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City, where it was first created. This best Chicken Waldorf Salad Recipe takes a short 20 minutes to prep.
Why is it called Waldorf Salad?
The salad was invented in the late 19th century, specifically in 1893, by the maitre d’hotel Oscar Tschirky at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel. It was originally featured as part of the hotel’s menu for a charity ball hosted by the Astors. The dish gained popularity due to its unique combination of ingredients and flavors, and it became a staple in American cuisine over time.
The Waldorf Salad’s simple yet harmonious blend of crunchy apples, crisp celery, and nutty walnuts mixed with creamy dressing was well-received, and it eventually found its way onto many restaurant menus and into home kitchens. The name “Waldorf Salad” simply pays homage to the hotel where it was first introduced.
A Waldorf salad is a fruit and nut salad generally made of celery, fresh apples, walnuts, and grapes, dressed in mayonnaise, and traditionally served on a bed of lettuce as an appetizer or a light meal. The apples, celery, and grapes can all be green, which harmonizes the color palette of the dish.
Ingredients for Best Chicken Waldorf Salad Recipe
2 cups rotisserie chicken, cut into about 1 / 2 inch bite-sized pieces
1 medium red apple, cored and chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 cup red grapes, sliced in half
1/2 cup celery, diced small, approximately 2 stalks
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1/2 cup dried cranberries, or raisins
Ingredients for Yogurt Dressing
1/4 cup dairy-free plain yogurt
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp black poppy seeds
Prep Instructions for Chicken Waldorf Salad
1. In a large mixing bowl, add the chicken, apples, grapes, celery, walnuts, and dried cranberries.
2. In a small mixing bowl, mix all the dressing ingredients. Start with the wet then the dry.
3. Evenly pour the dressing over the rest of the salad mix and toss gently.
4. Let the salad chill in the fridge for about 15 minutes before enjoying it.
Notes for Chicken Waldorf Salad Recipe
Prep: 20 minutes
Time: 30 minutes
This salad goes very well as a sandwich, a wrap, on a bed of lettuce, or on its own.
I like to use rotisserie chicken since it is already cooked and tastes great.
How long does Waldorf Salad last in the fridge?
You can store leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Apples may turn brown but a spritz of lemon can help.
Can you make Waldorf Salad ahead of time?
You can prepare the ingredients the night before and store separately in airtight containers but this salad is best served within a few hours of making it.
Thank you for your interest in this tasty Chicken Waldorf Salad Recipe. It’s a favorite for many household kitchens and is easy to make.
Chicken Waldorf Salad Recipe
- 2 cups Rotisserie chicken, cut into about 1 / 2 inch bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium Red apple cored and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup Celery, diced small, approximately 2 stalks
- 1/2 cup Chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup Dried cranberries or raisins
- Ingredients for Yogurt Dressing
- 1/4 cup Dairy-free plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp Fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- 1 tbsp Poppy seeds
- 1. In a large mixing bowl, add the chicken, apples, grapes, celery, walnuts, and dried cranberries.2. In a small mixing bowl, mix all the dressing ingredients. Start with the wet then the dry.3. Evenly pour the dressing over the rest of the salad mix and toss gently.4. Let the salad chill in the fridge for about 15 minutes before enjoying it.