I recently returned from a cruise and I was lucky to find some great healthy eating options. Join me here to learn how to eat healthy on a cruise and other great tips for enjoying your cruise.
How to Eat Healthy on a Cruise
Eating healthy on a cruise can be a challenge, but it’s definitely possible! Here are some tips to help you make healthier food choices while on a cruise:
- Choose grilled or baked foods: Instead of fried foods, opt for grilled or baked items. Look for grilled chicken or fish dishes, roasted vegetables, or baked potatoes.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables: Cruise ships usually offer a wide variety of fresh fruits and vegetables, so take advantage of this. Choose a salad as a side dish, or snack on fresh fruit between meals.
- Limit your alcohol intake: Drinking alcohol can add up quickly, both in calories and in cost. Try to limit your alcohol intake and choose lower calorie options like wine or light beer.
- Watch your portion sizes: Cruise ships are known for their abundant buffets, but it’s easy to overeat. Be mindful of your portion sizes and take smaller amounts of food.
- Avoid sugary drinks: Beverages like soda and fruit juices are often loaded with sugar. Instead, choose water, unsweetened tea, or sparkling water.
- Choose healthy snacks: If you need a snack between meals, look for healthier options like nuts, seeds, or low-fat yogurt.
- Plan ahead: Before you go on your cruise, do some research on the ship’s dining options. Look for menus that offer healthier options, and make a plan to stick to your healthy eating goals.
What foods not to eat on a cruise?
While cruise ships offer a variety of delicious foods, there are some foods you should try to avoid to maintain a healthy diet. Here are some foods to avoid on a cruise:
- Fried and greasy foods: Fried foods like french fries, chicken wings, and onion rings are high in calories and unhealthy fats. Opt for grilled or baked options instead.
- Sugary and high-calorie desserts: Desserts like cakes, cookies, and ice cream are tempting, but they are high in calories and sugar. Limit your intake of these treats or opt for fresh fruit instead.
- Processed and packaged foods: Foods like packaged snacks, processed meats, and pre-packaged meals often contain high levels of sodium and preservatives. Stick to fresh, whole foods whenever possible.
- Excessive amounts of alcohol: Alcoholic drinks can be tempting on a cruise, but they are high in calories and can lead to dehydration. Limit your alcohol consumption and drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
- Large portions: Cruise ships are known for their abundant food options, but it’s important to watch your portion sizes to avoid overeating. Stick to small portions and take advantage of healthier options like salads and steamed vegetables.
Remember, it’s okay to indulge a little on your cruise, but try to make healthy choices whenever possible to maintain a balanced and healthy diet. Be sure to read above the paragraph on, How to Eat Healthy on a Cruise.
What I Ate On My Recent Cruise
I love cruises so it was very important to find some tasty healthy options. When eating on a cruise I specifically limit what condiments I add to my plate such as sauces, dips or salt. Be sure to ask your dinner server what they recommend. Below is a snapshot of what I enjoyed while on my cruise.
- Breakfast: Breakfast on a cruise typically includes options like eggs, bacon, sausage, bagel and lox, cereals, oatmeal, fresh fruits, yogurt, and pastries.
- Lunch: For lunch, you may find a variety of options such as burgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, salads, grilled fish, chicken, and vegetables.
- Dinner: Dinner on a cruise is usually a more formal affair, with a selection of appetizers, soups, salads, entrees, and desserts. Entrees may include options like steak, seafood, pasta dishes, or vegetarian options.
- Snacks: On a cruise, you can find snacks such as pizza, ice cream, cookies, and other desserts available throughout the day. I always limit these selections.
- Beverages: You can find a variety of beverages on a cruise such as soft drinks, juices, coffee, tea, and alcoholic drinks.
Keep in mind that the options may vary depending on the cruise line, itinerary, and dining options chosen. It’s also important to remember to make healthy choices and balance your meals with plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains to maintain a healthy diet while on a cruise. Be sure to read above the paragraph on, How to Eat Healthy on a Cruise.
6 Tips for Preparing for a Cruise
What should you always bring on a cruise?
To me this is so important as I like my favorite “things”!! I loved having my slippers and I was disappointed that I forgot my favorite gum.
- Bring Slippers
- Bring favorite Gum and/or Mints
- Bring a Day Backpack Tote
- Bring Water
- Pack for all weather
- Always bring a passport
How Do You Eat Low Fat On A Cruise?
Eating low-fat on a cruise can be a bit challenging since many of the dishes offered tend to be rich and high in fat. However, here are some tips to help you eat low-fat on a cruise:
- Look for lean protein options: Choose lean protein sources such as grilled fish, chicken, turkey, or lean cuts of beef. Avoid fried and heavily sauced dishes.
- Opt for grilled or steamed foods: Grilled or steamed dishes tend to be lower in fat than fried or sautéed dishes. Look for grilled or steamed vegetables and proteins.
- Choose low-fat dairy products: When selecting dairy products such as milk, yogurt, or cheese, choose low-fat or fat-free options.
- Avoid creamy and fried sauces: Sauces such as Alfredo or creamy mushroom sauce are high in fat. Opt for tomato-based sauces or ask for sauces on the side.
- Look for fresh fruit and vegetables: Fresh fruits and vegetables are naturally low in fat and high in fiber. Incorporate them into your meals as much as possible.
- Limit your intake of high-fat desserts: Desserts like ice cream, cake, and pie tend to be high in fat and calories. Choose healthier options like fresh fruit or sorbet.
- Watch your portion sizes: Cruise ships often offer a wide variety of options, but be mindful of portion sizes to avoid overeating.
Remember to enjoy your vacation, and it’s okay to indulge a little, but these tips can help you make healthier choices and eat low-fat on your cruise. Be sure to read the above paragraph on, How to Eat Healthy on a Cruise. Please leave a comment how you enjoyed your cruise and what you recommend. Most of all, enjoy the cruise!!