There are many ways to celebrate holidays and Cinco de Mayo is always a great celebration. You can find gatherings at local Mexican restaurants and bars packed with people celebrating. If you decide to celebrate at home, try using this guide for the best Cinco De Mayo recipes. They are healthy and easy to make.
What is the most popular food for Cinco de Mayo?
Cinco de Mayo is a holiday that celebrates the Mexican army’s victory over the French at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. While there are many traditional Mexican dishes that can be enjoyed on this day, one of the most popular foods for Cinco de Mayo is arguably the taco.
Tacos are a versatile and delicious food that can be customized with a variety of fillings, including seasoned beef or chicken, pork, fish, or vegetarian options like beans or grilled vegetables. They are typically served in soft or hard shell tortillas, and can be topped with a variety of garnishes such as salsa, guacamole, cilantro, and lime.
Other popular foods for Cinco de Mayo include enchiladas, burritos, tamales, and quesadillas. It’s also common to enjoy Mexican-inspired drinks like margaritas, tequila shots, or Mexican beer to celebrate the holiday. Learn more about some healthy Cinco de Mayo food.
Here is a sample menu for a Cinco de Mayo celebration:
- Chips and guacamole
- Salsa and pico de gallo
- Queso dip with tortilla chips
- Mini chicken or beef taquitos
- Shrimp ceviche
- Build-your-own taco bar with seasoned beef, chicken, or pork, along with toppings such as shredded cheese, lettuce, diced tomatoes, sour cream, and salsa
- Enchiladas with red or green sauce and choice of chicken or beef filling
- Grilled shrimp or fish tacos with a variety of toppings and sauces
- Carne asada with grilled peppers and onions
- Vegetarian option: stuffed peppers with rice, beans, and cheese
- Mexican-style rice
- Refried or black beans
- Grilled corn on the cob with lime and chili powder
- Spicy roasted potatoes
- Mexican street-style elote (grilled corn with mayo, cotija cheese, and chili powder)
- Churros with cinnamon-sugar and chocolate dipping sauce
- Tres leches cake
- Mexican chocolate brownies
- Margaritas (classic, strawberry, or mango)
- Palomas (tequila and grapefruit soda)
- Micheladas (beer with lime juice and spices)
- Non-alcoholic options: horchata, agua fresca, or Mexican soda
Best Cinco de Mayo Recipes
Enjoy this short guide to help prepare for the best Cinco de Mayo celebration. It includes everything you will need to complete the menu such as appetizers, salad and entree.
recipe from healthyfoodieonline.com
Enjoy these festive Mexican Charcuterie Board Cups (Cinco de Mayo STYLE). They are healthy and super fun to make. Choose your own ingredients or follow this recipe guide for the best Cinco De Mayo charcuterie cheese board cups.
recipe from carriesexperimentalkitchen.com
This Avocado Quinoa Salad is a delicious Cinco de Mayo side dish that’s made with fresh ingredients and a light lime vinaigrette. This healthy quinoa salad tossed with fresh avocado and tomatoes in a lime vinaigrette is light and delicious.
recipe from apaigeofpositivity.com
Sometimes Caesar salad can sound bland; but why not spice it up a notch by making this Mexican Caesar Salad – it’s a fiesta in your mouth! With salsa, caesar dressing, summer grilled corn on the cob, tender, juicy chicken, crunchy tortilla chips, this salad does NOT lack in flavor.
recipe from whatagirleats.com
Salsa fresca is a quick, easy, and fresh homemade salsa. This easy salsa recipe is a great way to use fresh garden tomatoes.
recipe from remakemyplate.com
This Healthy Chicken Enchilada recipe is so easy to prep and makes a delicious weeknight dinner. The slow cooker chicken filling can be made ahead of time to help get this meal on the table in 30 minutes or less.
These are just a few ideas, but the possibilities for a delicious Cinco de Mayo menu are endless. Have fun creating your own festive feast and enjoy the holiday! Remember to always drink responsibly and designate a driver if alcohol is being served. Enjoy your Cinco de Mayo celebration with these Best Cinco de Mayo Recipes!
Get your FREE healthy lifestyle checklist. Make healthy living a habit!
1 thought on “Best Cinco de Mayo Recipes”
Cinco de Mayo is so fun! I love the colors and the food! Thank you for these great recipes!!!