It has been regarded as the most healthful water available. But what is in alkaline water? The specific ingredients can differ in a glass of alkaline water but it could have calcium chloride, magnesium sulfate, silica, potassium and sodium bicarbonate. These ingredients help make alkaline water more alkaline and less acidic.
The word alkaline refers to the pH level in a glass of water. The level of pH measures how acidic or alkaline the substance is on a scale of 0 to 14. To clarify the numbers, a pH of 1 would be very acidic and a pH of 13 would be very alkaline. Regular drinking water has less pH than alkaline water. Alkaline water typically has a pH of 8 or 9. And normal drinking water usually has a neutral pH of 7. But its important to note that pH alone isn’t enough to qualify substantial alkaline water. It must also contain minerals and ORP, oxidation reduction potential. Oxidation-reduction potential (ORP) measures the ability of a lake or river to cleanse itself or break down waste products, such as contaminants and dead plants and animals. When the ORP value is high, there is a lot of oxygen present in the water. Learn more about ORP here.
Our body does a great job of managing its pH on its own
People think alkaline water can neutralize acid in the body
Alkaline water and other accessories can be found at Thrive Market
Benefits of Alkaline Water:
Even though there isn’t much research of the benefits of alkaline water, proponents claim some benefits.
- Slow Aging-It has been known that it can slow the aging process. According to Dr. Oz he hasn’t been able to find a study to prove this.
- Improve Hydration-I have specifically experienced an increase in hydration when drinking alkaline water. I get dehydrated very easily when I travel to dry desert areas. When I drink alkaline water it has helped me to maintain hydration and not become dehydrated.
- Improve Heartburn-there have been people that suffer from acid reflux that have experienced some improvements. In 2012 a study was done that proved there are therapeutic benefits for patients with reflux disease.
Additional benefits not proven in studies include, boosts immunity, has potent antioxidants, detoxifies the body, reduces the risk of disease, energy boosting, helps burn fat, improves sleep and reduces wrinkles.
I really like this video below from Dr. Oz. Let me know what you think in the comments below.
Side Effects of Alkaline Water:
There are side effects for consuming anything in excess so always maintain a balance with your daily drink and food intake. Too much alkaline can cause:
- Gastrointestinal issues
- Skin irritations
- Muscle twitching
- Kidney issues
- Tingling in the face or extremities
- Hand tremors
5 different ways to make alkaline water at home:
- Baking Soda-add one gallon of water to 1 tablespoon baking soda and mix until dissolved
- Lemon-squeeze a lemon into a glass of water
- pH Drops-liquid drops made with high concentrate of minerals and electrolytes increases pH
- Ionizing water pitcher-water is poured into this special pitcher and is ready to drink in 5 minutes
- Water ionizer system-most expensive of the options this machine creates an electrochemical process
Visiting the Carlsbad Water Company:
I had the opportunity to visit the spring in Carlsbad, CA. Water is readily available for people to purchase through a vending system. I found it very interesting to enjoy a glass of water that was poured right here in the town I live. The pH is 8.76 from the Carlsbad spring. There is a lot of history surrounding the historic site established in 1882. The Carlsbad Alkaline Water comes from 500-1700 feet deep below the surface from an aguifer reaching artesian mineral well that drains naturally from the Cleveland National Forest. It has many natural minerals like calcium and magnesium. Click on the photo below to view the Carlsbad Alkaline Water website and get more information.
=>>Springs are all over the world. Check out this website of springs for drinking and soaking<<=
As you can see there are many opinions proven and not proven whether alkaline water can improve health. I’m glad I know now what is in alkaline water so I can make my own decision about consuming it. According to the Mayo Clinic the best solution is to regularly drink just plain water. I always recommend to have a balance and not exceed any one drink or food item. But what I do know is I feel better when I drink alkaline water, especially if its hot or i’m in a dry desert type area.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. When you use the links on this page to make a purchase I may get a small commission and you may get a great bargain. It’s a win-win all around. Full disclosure. The information contained in this website is for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended as health or medical advice. Always consult a doctor.