A lot of people think that celery is only made of empty calories. After all, it’s popular for being a crunchy vegetable that’s made of 95% water. But did you know celery is an underrated vegetable that’s actually packed with healthy antioxidants and nutrients? But is celery good for you? Yes, celery is densely filled with nutrients and other compounds that bring about a wide range of health benefits that make it one of the healthiest vegetables around. Interested to know how celery can improve your health? Here are celery’s top benefits, how it can help you lose weight, and what happens when you eat it every day.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. When you use the links on this page to make a purchase I may get a small commission and you may get a great bargain. It’s a win-win all around. Support my page and I can continue to provide great tips, recipes, reviews and lifestyle advice. Ask me how by clicking here!
What is Celery Good For?
Celery is packed with antioxidants, phytonutrients, vitamins and minerals, and other compounds that boost health. Though it’s mostly a healthy snack, a side dish, or an added ingredient to dishes, celery can be added to your daily diet for health and weight loss purposes.
- Packed with Antioxidants-Celery is known to contain tons of antioxidants that protect the cells, blood vessels, and organs in the body. It helps these organs from oxidative damage and scientists have discovered two amazing antioxidants in celery that help prevent ailments and even cancer cells from occurring. These antioxidants are called Apigenin and Luteolin. These two antioxidants have been shown to reduce inflammation in the body, helping to alleviate symptoms of arthritis, allergies, neurodegenerative disease, and studies have even shown promising results in the prevention of cancer cells.
- Packed with Nutrients-Celery contains Vitamin K, C, beta carotene, flavonoids, and phytonutrients. These phytonutrients have been shown to reduce inflammation in the digestive tract, as well as support cell tissue repair. It’s also rich in potassium, folate, and vitamin A, making it a nutrient-dense vegetable.
- Alkalizes the Body-A body that’s too acidic can be a breeding ground for a wide range of ailments. Celery contains minerals like magnesium, iron, and sodium that help to alkalize the body, An alkaline body has been known to help with weight loss and prevent certain diseases.
- Reduces Inflammation-Chronic inflammation has been linked to many illnesses. In fact, one of the healthiest ways you can reduce disease and other ailments is to lower your body’s overall inflammation. Celery contains 25 anti-inflammatory compounds that can offer protection against inflammation, and thus, helping to reduce your overall risk for developing and contracting diseases.
- Supports The Digestive System-Celery contains pectin-based polysaccharides that contain the compound called Apiuman, which is known to reduce instances of stomach ulcers. It is also known to improve the lining of the stomach and modulate stomach secretions, as shown in animal studies. Celery’s high water and fiber content also help to clean the body of toxins, as well as cleanses the digestive tract.
What Happens When You Eat Celery Every Day?
Eating celery every day can bring about a wide range of benefits to your body. Here are some health benefits when you make celery a part of your everyday diet:
- Improves Your Eyesight-Studies have revealed that eating celery every day can help to protect and strengthen your eyesight.
- Regulates Your Body Temperature-When the weather is very hot eating celery can help to regulate your temperature. The high water and electrolyte content of celery helps to regulate your body temperature both by cooling and hydrating your body down.
- Prevents Urinary Tract Infections-Celery works like cranberries in stimulating urine production. It also helps to reduce your uric acid levels and prevent against UTI.
- Prevents Ulcers-Celery is known to contain a certain type of ethanol extract that protects the digestive system. Celery increases the amount of gastric mucus in the stomach lining which is essential in the protection against ulcers.
- Weight Loss-With a high fiber content, eating celery can make you feel fuller for longer and therefore prevent you from eating too often and too much.
Does Celery Help You Lose Weight?
Celery is a popular diet food and rightfully so. Here are some reasons why celery can help you lose weight:
- Low in Calories-One cup of celery is equivalent to 16 calories or about 1% of your daily calorie intake. Cutting calories is the key to weight loss and replacing high calorie foods with celery can be a simple way to lower your daily calorie intake.
- Packed with Fiber-As mentioned earlier, fiber can help you control your appetite by making you feel fuller for longer. Fiber also absorbs water to help fill your stomach. Since celery is a fiber rich food it requires more chewing so you slow down your eating.
Is Celery a Superfood?
Superfoods are foods that provide a wide range of health benefits from their exceptional nutrient density. So yes, celery is considered to be a superfood, as it contains large amounts of nutrients, antioxidants, and phytonutrients with just one serving. Studies have shown promising results in cancer prevention research. It has been scientifically proven to reduce inflammation, improve your eyesight, help manage weight loss and even improve your gut health. To fix gut health try using Gut Feeling from YourSuper. I use it and have loved the results.
Celery is not just a vegetable with empty calories. Celery is actually packed with so many nutrients in one cup that eating it every day can help you lose weight, reduce overall body inflammation and prevent stomach ulcers. I hope you have a better idea now if celery is good for you. Please leave a comment below if you like celery and how you like to eat it.
Get your FREE healthy lifestyle checklist. Make healthy living a habit!