Do you know the secret to an easy butternut squash soup recipe? I think I do. When my CSA box is delivered, I make a new recipe to use the veggies in my box. This week was no different so I decided to make an Easy Butternut Squash Soup Recipe. This soup can be made vegan or not vegan. It’s great both ways and is also gluten free.
Is Butternut Squash Soup healthy for you?
It not only tastes great but butternut squash soup is healthy for you. My recipe here is vegan so I think it’s extra healthy. The health benefits of butternut squash are plentiful. They are naturally rich in fiber, magnesium, Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Potassium. And when the soup is prepared the nutrients are not lost because you are not draining away the liquid. The process of cooking the veggies also makes it easier to digest and therefore the nutrients will be absorbed better.
Ingredients for Easy Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 large butternut squash, cut in half
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth or 1 cup cocunut milk/1cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil, enough to cover butternut squash
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt and Pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
Optional toppings to garnish and add on top: cinnamon, parsley, cilantro, swiss cheese, black beans, chives, sour cream, bacon
Add thinly sliced buttered sourdough to the broiler to pair with soup and a Caesar salad. Makes for the perfect healthy meal!
How to cut Butternut Squash for Baking
- Wash butternut squash
- Lay on its side on a large sturdy cutting board
- Use a sharp chefs knife
- Cut off the entire stem end about 1/2 inch
- Cut off bottom end about 1/2 inch
- Slice in half the long way
- Scoop out pulp and seeds with a spoon and discard
Now you are ready to prepare your butternut squash the preferred way that you like. For this recipe I recommend to bake in halfs and then cut afterwards. It’s hard to cut through the tough skin of the butternut squash so I chose not to. If you want to cut it in cubes then you can pop in the microwave for 5 minutes to soften the tough skin.
I’m including a video here for how to cut butternut squash if you prefer to cut it before baking.
Step by Step Directions for Easy Butternut Squash Soup
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Line cooking sheet with parchment paper
- Put butternut squash, onions and garlic on baking sheet and season with olive oil, salt and pepper
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through
- Scoop out butternut squash and mix well with garlic and onion
- Move all vegetable ingredients to a Vitamix blender OR use an immersion blender in a large pot
- Add vegetable broth or coconut milk
- Blend until smooth and be sure garlic is all blended
- Transfer to stovetop and heat thoroughly
- Season and garnish to taste
- Pour into bowls and serve with mini toast.
Nutritional Information for Easy Butternut Squash Soup
Serving Size 2 cups
Vegan and Gluten Free
- 203 Calories
- 14g Fat
- 397mg Sodium (will depend on how much you use exactly)
- 4.6g Fiber
- 1.7g Protein
- 22mg Calcium
- 4mg Iron
- 384mg Potassium
If you are interested in increasing the nutritional value of soup, try adding YourSuper organic powders. YourSuper has amazing organic superfood powders that will help increase that extra needed protein by adding the Muscle Power or Golden Mellow mix.
Easy Butternut Squash Soup Facts
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Makes about 4 servings
Common Cooking Terms
Below are some common cooking terms and definitions for the beginner chef. I hope it helps with any cooking definitions you need when in the kitchen.
- Bake-To cook in an oven
- Blend-To mix ingredients together with a spoon, fork, mixer or immersion blender
- Boil-To heat a food so that it gets hot enough for bubbles to rise and break the surface
- Brown-To cook over medium heat until outside surface of food is darkened
- Chop-To cut into small pieces
- Drain-To remove all the liquid using a colander or strainer
- Grate-To scrape food over the holes of a grater making thin pieces
- Knead-To press, fold and stretch dough with hands until it is smooth
- Marinate-To soak food in a liquid to tenderize or add flavor to it
- Mash-To squash food with a fork or masher
- Mix-To stir ingredients together with spoon or electric mixer until well combined
- Puree-Food is cooked, ground, pressed, blended with an immersion blender or sieved to the consistency of a creamy paste or liquid
- Preheat-To turn the oven on ahead of time to get heat to a desired temperature
- Saute-To cook quickly with oil or butter
- Steam-To cook food over steam without putting directly in water I use a steamer like this
Check out this recipe for Vegan Pumpkin Soup.
Where to Buy Butternut Squash Online
In a future article I will do an entire list of where to buy butternut squash online. It will be helpful when it’s not convenient to go to the store and will provide the highest quality for cooking. Here is a quick tip snapshot of some online options: Melissa’s, Fresh Direct, Stop & Shop and more. I’ve included a link for Melissa’s fresh produce that delivers butternut squash to your home.
How do you choose the perfect butternut squash?
They store for a long time and should be perfect all year long. Harvested in late summer and fall. Pick one that has no deep cuts, has sturdy skin and a hard rind.
So what are the secrets to a great Easy Butternut Squash Soup Recipe? Could you guess? I’ve asked my family who all enjoyed the soup and they loved it with the cinnamon and nutmeg. But my secret is using the best butternut squash you can find. In my case, it came fresh and organic from my CSA box that was delivered to my home. Check out my article here on great online grocery delivery. It’s easy to find organic online grocery delivery services that will deliver the perfect butternut squash or choose from my list mentioned above.
Check out my other recipes:
Easy Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
- 1 Large Butternut Squash, cut in half
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/8 tsp salt and pepper
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375.Line cooking sheet with parchment paperPut butternut squash, onions and garlic on baking sheet and season with oilve oil, salt and pepperBake for 30 minutes or until cooked throughScoop out butternut squash and mix well with garlic and onionMove all vegetable ingredients to a Vitamix blender OR use an immersion blender in a large potAdd vegetable broth or coconut milkBlend until smooth and be sure garlic is all blendedTransfer to stovetop and heat thoroughlySeason and garnish to tastePour into bowls and serve with mini toast.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.