Do you like onions? I’ve always loved French Onion Soup so I decided to create my own Easy French Onion Soup for Two. I gathered the ingredients and was so surprised there were only a couple basic ingredients necessary. I wanted a special flair to my recipe and so I experimented. I added some new touches and voila, a yummy starter or main entree for lunch or dinner.
First prepared over 8000 years ago, the French Onion Soup began in ancient Rome. The modern version of this soup originated in the 18th century in Paris France. It’s served in fine restaurants or casual dining to lovers of onions with a taste for melted cheese.
Ingredients for Easy French Onion Soup:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, one chopped and one thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper or more to taste
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup Swiss Cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded smoked or not smoked
- 2 slices french bread the size of your serving bowl
I used smoked cheese and it added tons more flavor to my soup. Most of my recipes are for two servings but if you have more people to serve just double or triple the recipe.
Directions for Easy French Onion Soup:
- Thinly slice one onion and chop one onion
- Add butter, chopped garlic and all onion to a large saucepan until softened
- Next add sugar and saute for 30-40 minutes until onion are caramelized and golden brown
- Add broth, Worcestershire, thyme, salt and pepper and saute for another 15 minutes
- Be cautious not to burn the onions and keep heat on medium low
- Pour into oven safe bowls
- Spread butter on french bread and toast in broiler until lightly toasted
- Place bread across top of soup and add cheese
- Place in broiler until cheese is lighly brown and melted
- Serve with salad or your favorite sandwich
What does caramelizing the onion mean?
According to Wikipedia, Caramelization is the browning of sugar, a process used extensively in cooking for the resulting sweet nutty flavor and brown color. It took my onion about 40 minutes to get to the caramelized point.
Nutritional Information for French Onion Soup:
Serving Size 2 cups
Can be made vegan and gluten free by substituting gluten free bread and vegan cheese.
- 564 Calories
- 34.4g Fat
- 1965mg Sodium (will depend on how much you use exactly)
- 4.4g Fiber
- 31.8g Protein
- 620mg Calcium
- 4mg Iron
- 731mg Potassium
- 32mcg Vitamin D
Easy French Onion Soup Facts:
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Makes about 2 servings
I’m glad you’re here and you have decided to try my Easy French Onion Soup for Two. It was so good and I’d love to hear from you. Please leave a comment how you like it and if you make any adjustments.
Check out my other recipes:
Easy French Onion Soup for Two
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 large onions
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- .5 tsp Worcestershire
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup swiss cheese
- 1 cup Gruyere cheese
- 2 slices French bread
- Thinly slice one onion and chop one onionAdd butter, chopped garlic and all onion to a large saucepan until softenedNext add sugar and saute for 30-40 minutes until onion are caramelized and golden brownAdd broth, Worcestershire, thyme, salt and pepper and saute for another 15 minutesBe cautious not to burn the onions and keep heat on medium lowPour into oven safe bowlsSpread butter on french bread and toast in broiler until lightly toastedPlace bread across top of soup and add cheesePlace in broiler until cheese is lighly brown and meltedServe with salad or your favorite sandwichENJOY!!!
When you use the links on this page to make a purchase I may get a small commission and you may get a great bargain. It’s a win-win all around. Full disclosure. The information contained in this website is for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended as health or medical advice. Always consult a doctor.