Are you looking for an easy to make healthy vegan soup? With an increase in cool weather in parts of the country this Easy Vegan Mushroom Barley Soup is a great go to. I like to round up all the veggies in my fridge and make a comfort soup that everyone will like. The pearl barley is healthy and helps curb my hunger. Vegan Mushroom Barley Soup is great for a main dish or served as a starter. I shared this recipe with some friends and they all loved it!
Ingredients for Easy Vegan Mushroom Barley Soup
- 1/4 Cup Pearl Barley
- 6 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 1 Cup Carrots (sliced)
- 1/4 Cup Celery (chopped)
- 1/2 Cup Onions (chopped large and small)
- 2 Cups Mushrooms (any variety sliced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon gluten free soy sauce
- Optional 1 Cup Tofu
- Optional parsley, cilantro, or green onion for garnish
Directions for Easy Vegan Mushroom Barley Soup
- Gather all ingredients and prep
- Add barley and vegetable broth in large pot and simmer for about 1 hour until barley is tender
- Saute garlic and onions in 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Add onions, garlic, carrots and celery and simmer for 15 minutes
- Add mushrooms and let them heat through
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and gluten free soy sauce
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until ingredients are heated through
- Add optional roasted tofu
- Garnish with parsley, cilantro, or green onion
Health Benefits of Mushrooms
There are many health benefits of mushrooms. According to Food Revolution Network, Mushrooms are packed with nutritional value. They’re low in calories, are great sources of fiber and protein (good for plant-based diets). They also provide many important nutrients, including B vitamins, selenium, potassium, copper, and (particularly when exposed to the sun) vitamin D. And even though they’re commonly white, they’re packed with as many antioxidants as more colorful fruits and vegetables.
If you are interested in an organic superfood mushroom powder that you can add to coffee or warm almond milk, check out my article here: What Is Magic Mushroom – improve your health. Magic Mushroom has no sugar, cacao powder, chaga, ashwagandha, reishi, lucuma and a hint of cinnamon. It’s helpful to lower stress, boost immune system and enhance mood.
Nutritional Information for Easy Vegan Mushroom Barley Soup
There are many health benefits of mushrooms. According to Food Revolution Network, Mushrooms are packed with nutritional value. They’re low in calories, are great sources of fiber and protein (good for plant-based diets).
Easy Vegan Mushroom Barley Soup Facts
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Makes about 6 servings
Calories: 64 per serving
Where to Buy Fresh Organic Mushrooms Online
I’ve found some great websites to buy fresh organic mushrooms online. They range from button mushrooms, shitake mushrooms, oyster mushrooms and more. My favorite is button mushrooms and I always buy organic.
Here is a list of where to buy fresh organic mushrooms online and delivered home:
I hope you enjoy this recipe for Easy Vegan Mushroom Barley Soup. It’s so yummy and paired with salad makes a great vegan meal. Please comment below how you like it!!
Easy Vegan Mushroom Barley Soup
- 1/4 cup Pearl Barley
- 6 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 clove Garlic chopped
- 1 cup Carrots chopped
- 1/4 cup Celery chopped
- 1/2 cup Onions chopped
- 2 cups Mushrooms any variety
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Soy Sauce
- Gather ingredients and prep
- Add barley and vegetable broth-simmer for 1 hour until tender
- Saute garlic and onions in olive oil
- Combine in large pot, onions, garlic, carrots and celery for 15 minutes
- Add mushrooms and heat through
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and soy sauce
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until veggies are tender
- Add optional roasted tofu and top with parsley, cilantro or green onion
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. When you use the links on this page to make a purchase I may get a small commission and you may get a great bargain. It’s a win-win all around. Full disclosure.
Get your FREE healthy lifestyle checklist. Make healthy living a habit!