Are you looking to change up your diet but don’t quite know where to start? The ketogenic diet is widely talked about in the world of health, wellness, and especially weight loss. For someone who isn’t familiar with the keto diet, it can look like a very drastic lifestyle change to make. That’s why I wanted to give you some helpful tips on how to get started as well as give you my 7 Day Keto Meal Plan!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. When you use the links on this page to make a purchase I may get a small commission and you may get a great bargain. It’s a win-win all around.
Support my page and I can continue to provide great tips, recipes, reviews and lifestyle advice. Ask me how by clicking here!
How Do I Get Started on the Keto Diet?
The one thing that all diets seem to have in common is that they are so hard to actually start. Based off of the information that I shared in a couple of my previous articles, I suggest easing your body and mind into it. My first bit of advice when starting out is to talk to your doctor or a nutritionist to see if keto would work for you! Essentially, the keto diet requires you to decrease your intake of carbohydrates to 20-50 net grams per day. The overall goal is to get your body into the metabolic state called ketosis which helps you to burn fat quicker. According to sites like atkins.com, it is important to make sure that as you remove carbs from your diet, you replace them with “nutrient-dense” and “non-starchy” fruits and vegetables to make sure you are getting the proper vitamins and minerals.
I mentioned that people can experience the “keto flu” as their body begins to adjust to the changes of the diet. Some of the symptoms may include headache, fatigue, and nausea as well as difficult sleeping and irritability. The best way to lessen these effects is to make sure you are getting enough water and filling your body with healthy fats and plenty of proteins.
When a close friend of mine started the ketogenic diet for the first time, she made sure to start a food journal to help her keep track of how many carbs, fats, and calories she consumed. By logging her meals and her exercises, she was able to make navigating this lifestyle change much easier and began to see results quickly! With this in mind, I recommend investing in your own food journal or calorie counting app to make sure you are consuming the right percentage of fats and carbs.
What Fruit Can I Eat on Keto?
As I mentioned before, a great way to make sure that your body responds well to the ketogenic diet is by replacing carbs with fruits and vegetables. However, not all fruits are “keto-friendly.” The best fruits for someone on keto to eat are varieties that are relatively low in carbs and high in fiber. According to healthline.com, fiber is an “indigestible type of carb” so it can be subtracted from your total carb count.
- Berries – Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries are low carb and provide a range of vitamins and antioxidants that are great for your body while on keto
- Avocado – These are very low in carbs and extremely versatile! Avocados are high in vitamin K and C as well as potassium and a range of other important nutrients.
- Tomatoes – Like avocados, tomatoes are also very versatile and can be used in several different snacks and meals while doing keto. A single serving adds up to roughly 5 net-carbs while providing the body with antioxidants like beta carotene and more. I’m growing tomatoes in my garden and I love putting them in my salads.
- Lemons – Being high in vitamin C and B6 as well as potassium, lemons can serve many purposes in the kitchen while being low in carbs and containing essential fibers. I love putting lemon on my salmon or in my water.
- Melons – Namely watermelon and cantaloupe, have slightly more net carbs than the previously listed fruits but can provide you with a lower carb substitute if consumed in smaller/well-managed portions.
Does the Keto Diet Work for Weight Loss?
When talking about the ketogenic diet, it is important to understand that it is not necessarily meant to be a short-term diet. Overall, the diet is about retraining your body from using carbohydrates as your primary source of fuel to burning fat instead. Because of this, it is essential to make sure that you continue to keep the right percentage of carbs to fats in your meals. Many who decide to try out keto may see results faster than they would with other types of diets. However, once you lose the initial weight it is very easy to fall into old eating habits and gain that weight back quickly. For this reason, keto works better as a way to manage your weight loss long-term.
7 Day Keto Meal Plan
If you do decide to give the ketogenic diet a try, I put together an easy 7 Day Keto Meal Plan to help get you started! You can mix and match these meals as best fits your specific needs and tastes! I always suggest to purchase organic ingredients and add supplements without carbs to help provide the proper balance of nutrients.
- Breakfast: Egg scramble with cheese and sausage
- Lunch: Keto Egg Salad lettuce warp
- Dinner: Keto Meatloaf Minis with Green Bean Mushroom Saute
- Breakfast: Keto bacon or pepper egg bites
- Lunch: Cauliflower mac and cheese
- Dinner: Lemon garlic chicken with sauteed broccoli
- Breakfast: Spinach and mushroom omelet
- Lunch: Taco stuffed avocados
- Dinner: Grilled Salmon with crispy oven roasted brussel sprouts
- Breakfast: Egg scramble with cheese and bacon
- Lunch: Keto broccoli salad
- Dinner: Bacon cheeseburger casserole
- Breakfast: Baked avocado or bell pepper egg boats
- Lunch: Keto BLT Cheese Wrap
- Dinner: Tuscan Butter Shrimp with Steamed Spinach
- Breakfast: Greek Yogurt with keto granola
- Lunch: Cobb salad with hard boiled eggs, cheese and turkey
- Dinner: Cauliflower Chicken Curry
- Breakfast: Keto (Almond Flour) Pancakes
- Lunch: Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Dinner: Garlic butter baked salmon and asparagus
Although you can generally find packaged foods that claim to be keto friendly, I believe that the best way to make sure your body is getting the proper amount of healthy nutrients is using organic natural ingredients. The majority of these meals can be made with great natural substitutes to promote health and wellness as you fuel your body! My 7 Day Keto Meal Plan will also help you to achieve wellness.